Thursday, January 31, 2013

Keeping focused, staying positive

After my last blog post, I decided that I was really going to amp up my training and seriously get prepared for the "big race". Stupid idea! Let me set the stage for ya. It was Monday, MLK day, and Mike was home from work.  He took the kids to school, went to workout for himself, came home to watch Matthew, and I was able to go for a mid day run. This troubled me a little since I was an early morning runner.  Running in south Florida in the winter is just as bad as running in the summer, hot and humid. But I went anyway. It was planned to be an 8 mile run and I wasn't going to quit before that. So here's the breakdown: miles 1 & 2 were not so bad, 3 & 4 I was already tired so I ate some Gu cubes (which did nothing-and did I mention I forgot my water!), mile 6-7 wasn't bad, but then I hit a wall. I had no business running that last mile but come hell or high water, this was training right? Dumb idea. I made it to 8 miles and walked home a half a mile. I was tired but felt ok.

 The next morning, holy mother! I thought my left foot was broken. I limped around all day, put ice on it, elevated it. But it only got worse. By day 3, I was ready to cry. I even gave up on the Race For The Cure run. I couldn't risk injuring myself further and not be able to complete the Princess Half, which is much bigger to me. All of this stress gave me a wicked headache so I took a Motrin and about 30 minutes later, there was no foot pain. It was a miracle! So Motrin is the trick. I was able to run a mile that evening with no pain and no increased damaged was done. 2 days later I was able to run 6 miles on the treadmill and still no pain. Again today I hit the treadmill and did 3 miles with no pain. I try not to take the Motrin but the pain still lingers once in a while. I have been researching this to no end and the major advice is to not take the Motrin and run since you can't feel the pain until way after you finish running and you could do more damage. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. I have been following this regimen and I'm back in the game. I'm feeling much better and more confident.

Oh, and Matthew now sleeps the night and takes a bottle. That stress has decreased a ton.
Now I just need to slowly get some serious miles in so I will be prepared for February 24th...the big day. I am slowly going to make my way, not get injured, and run an awesome race!

Happy running :)

No comments:

Post a Comment