Monday, February 11, 2013

Just not feeling it...

The title says it all. I am just not feeling it right now. Last time I trained for a big race I fell into this same funk. After a while you just crash and need a break. But with this big race 2 weeks away, crashing is not option.

 This weekend I completed the Five Guys 10k in Boca in 1:01:47. At the start of the race I remember saying to one of the other girls "I'm not feeling it today". I guess I shouldn't have expected to do my greatest with that attitude. Remember the Matthew issue? Well, that has gotten MUCH better, but my body is hating me. He now takes a bottle, sleeps through the night (most nights), and nurses about 2 times a day. I'm not sure why the morning of this race, my milk decided to come in in full force! So that started my morning.

During the run I used my normal Nike plus app. However, it didn't seem to work right. It clocked my first mile in 7:56! I thought I was flying!! But people were passing me still....hmmmm. Then it said I completed a mile but I didn't see the 1 mile sign yet. So I slowed a bit. Stupid. I finally passed the 1 mile mark but my app said 1.63 mile....hmmmm. But I kept going. I slowed my mile down to a 8:30 mile and set in and kept running. Finally by mile 6 and I was only passing the 5 mile mark, it dawned on me that my app sucks. I'm not that quick obviously. I just thought maybe, with some dumb luck, they mis-marked the route. I was wrong and at the finish I was just over an hour. In the end, my app said I completed 7.07 miles when a 10k is only 6.2 miles.  If I would have never slowed down because I listened to my app, I would be at my goal and under an hour. Although I didn't meet my goal, I made a personal record and I need to be happy with that. Beating any previous race time is a success (thanks Heather for that encouragement). I am in a constant battle and competition with myself and I need to realize that completing a race is the win, not injuring myself. Not to be the best but to be MY best.

Making excuses is not the answer, just try harder next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment