Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Run momma run!



I know it's only the middle of January, but I have kept my New Years resolution! I dove head first and hardcore into running. Mike and I are participating in the Armageddon Ambush race this weekend and I have signed up for the Susan G. Komen Race For the Cure on January 26th. So I'm on my way to my twelve races in twelve months.  I'm also getting excited for the Princess Half in one month! It's coming quick and I'm hoping I'm ready. I keep changing my mind on my goal time. Faster, slower, faster, slower. I don't know what I'm doing. I've got to get my head together. I'm just trying not to get injured or stressed before the big day so I can run, run, run. But here's where my head is at.

As you all know, we have a wee little one at home and he is quite the handful. Just when I think life is getting back to easy, baby Matthew throws his little baby monkey wrench in the mix. For the past two weeks he has not slept or stuck to a schedule/routine. Sleepless nights have been frequent since he has decided that sleep is optional. I am also a human pacifier. He is only comforted by me and the boob and if I walk more than 5 feet away from him, he crawls after me crying. So I carry him ALL day long. That makes for a very long day and you can't go for a run with a baby in your arms. I also keep thinking about how Mike is going to have all three kids alone for two days while I am in Orlando running. He can't feed Matthew the way I can so we have to get him on the bottle and the sleepless night are going to be awful. Because of this huge stress looming over my head, I have sought out the help of my loving mommy friends and they have steered us in the direction of a few good books and we have read through them all. We combined all of the advice in the books and came up with our own way to get Matthew back to his happy little self. It's taking us a little longer than the books say, but hey at least we are making progress. Tonight he took a bottle and went to sleep easily. I'm chalking that up to a win. 

 But I'm not going to let any of this get me down. I have been trying to get in two short runs during the week and one long run on the weekend. I usually prepare Mike the night before for morning baby duty so I can go out and run. He just knows to be prepared for me to whine and complain about Saturday morning runs and I'll eventually go Sunday morning (he has been really good and tries not to complain about my procrastination).  Ethan and Amanda have also been good motivators too. Before every run they tell me to run fast and they love me. And when their favorite songs come on during my run, I run faster and with a big smile. 

I have been trying to look on the bright side every day and not beat myself up for those days that I'm dragging from being up all night with Matthew. A positive attitude and a go with the flow attitude keeps me trukin and have really made all the difference in my training. 

Keep your chin up ladies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment