Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's a new year! Let's reset

2012 is a thing of the past. It was a good year for my family. We welcomed my beautiful and amazing little boy Matthew into the world as well as my niece Kaitlyn. Everyone was in good health, except for the last 2 weeks of the year. That nasty stomach virus swept through my house as well as everyone's house in NY during our Christmas visit. At least Christmas wasn't ruined.

December is always a crazy month. Between birthdays, holidays, traveling, and illnesses, it's a wash. Unfortunately, that means so is my training. For 18 days, I could not find the time or energy to run or do any form of exercise. There was just so much holiday prep to take care of and then my children decided that sleep was optional.  I started beating myself up for every cookie I ate and every day that went by that I didn't exercise. By the time Christmas was over and our disastrous NY trip was over (I'll spare you the gory details but the stomach bug hit everyone!), I was already thinking of how to reset and to fix my rut.

I decided that starting the new year off right with a run was the way to go. Since my children are still young and go to bed early, we stayed in for the new year. No hangover (oh how times have changed). I was up bright and early, had my morning cup o' joe, and off I went. I set up my Nike+ app on my iPhone and walked a tenth of a mile, then I just ran. And ran, and ran! The whole time thinking to myself "this is a reset", "I'm starting over", "keep those legs moving", "another few minutes". After 3.5 miles, I was amazed. Talking myself through it the whole time, I was able to run with minimal fatigue. After being off for almost 3 weeks, I thought this was great! I'm feeling like I'm back in the game. Now I need to keep that up and run 3-5 miles 3 days a week and one big run on the weekends leading up to the Princess Half Marathon (so exciting). That gives me 7 weekends. I can do this! I got this! (Gotta be positive!)

Now on to the New Years resolution. Since I started running and breast feeding,  I have become thinner than normal and lost a lot of muscle. My resolution this year is to be more conscious of my body. Adding more yoga and weight lifting, and eating better.  Not to bulk up but to keep my body healthy.

On top of that resolution, I wanted to see if anyone wanted to join me in a group resolution. It's a long term one (12 months to be exact). How about 12 races in 12 months!? It can be any race (5k, 10k, half marathon, triathlon, duathlon, mud run, etc) and it can be more than 1 race a month but at the end of the year you need to have complete 12 races. If you are up for it, let me know. I'm willing to do it together as a team. Then we can pick a reward for ourselves when we finish :)

Running is all a mind game. If you can just push past your fears and discomfort, you can run further than you think.

Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

PS: The workout clothing company I am always talking about (Pvbody) is having fun new promotion this month!  They are offering every pv.body babe that signs up this month access to their 30 Day Challenge to kick start resolutions!  It's also available to all current members!  The pv.body 30 day challenge provides you with your own personal dietitian and trainer to help you meet your fitness and health goals.  Everyday, our pv.body babes will be given a new challenge that they can share with friends!  Challenges include workouts, recipes, meal plans, group activities and more!  
1. Sign up here through my link and receive 20% off: http://pvbody.com/try/alisonstone


2. Take the pv.body 30 Day Challenge here to kick start your New Year resolutions and receive tons of fun prizes: http://pvbody.com/challenge  
(IMPORTANT: Please note that you will not receive the discount though this link; you have to sign up through my link above to receive the 20% off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment